Stræk Arm!



"Stræk Arm!" is Danish for keep your arms straight or stretched. These were the words from my kayak instructor, Thomas. Recently I have taken a big step into Danish culture by joining a club. Clubs are a big deal in Denmark and there is one for almost anything you’d like to do. Biking, chess, poker, there are clubs for all of these things. The clubs are funded through both dues and also subsidized by the government.

My kayaking lessons have been a wonderful introduction to the idea and culture of the club. My friend Georg encouraged me to join and gave me all the clothing and gear I needed to get started (there was quite a lot and he was a very knowledgeable and gracious guide). The club supplied the Kayak and the lessons. Tonight I rowed my 49th Kilometer!

Tomorrow is the handicapped race, which works so that the faster kayakers start last and start times are staggered so that everyone finishes at close to the same time. Wish me luck!